There’s only two weeks left until the tax filing deadline. This year’s deadline is Monday, April 18, due to a holiday in Washington, D.C. on April 15.
With that in mind, Crystal Financial Solutions has some tongue-in-cheek words of wisdom while you’re finishing your taxes.
Top five ways to invite an audit from the IRS
(Do not try this at home — it could be dangerous to your financial health)
- Put the wrong Social Security number on your tax return.
- Claim a different amount for alimony that what your ex-spouse paid you.
- Claim large losses from “hobby” activities, such as horse racing or horse breeding.
- Claim charitable contributions that are almost as much as your income.
- “Forget” to put all your income from your W-2 on your tax return.
Top three ways to be a victim of a tax scam
(Do not try this at home, either!)
- Click on the link in the email that looks like it is from the IRS.
- When the person calls saying they are from the IRS, give them your name, birth date and Social Security number, plus your bank account information.
- Give your full Social Security number and birth date to anyone who asks for it.
Top six reasons you should find another tax preparer
- Your preparer promises guaranteed or inflated refunds
- Your preparer doesn’t have a tax identification number from the IRS
- Your preparer won’t sign your tax return
- Your preparer won’t give you a copy of your return
- Your preparer offers to pay what you owe to the IRS. All you have to do is pay him what you owe and he’ll send it in for you.
- Your preparer wants your refund sent to his bank account so he can deduct his fee and send you the remainder.