By now, everyone should have their W-2s from the employers they worked for in 2016. What do you do if you haven’t received a W-2? (Or more than one of your W-2s?)

Contact your employer

First step is to contact your employer or former employer. They may not realize that you haven’t received your W-2. This is especially important if you have moved. Make sure they have your current address.

Call the IRS

If you are unable to obtain your W-2 from your employer, call the IRS. The IRS will send a letter to the employer on your behalf. When you call the IRS, you will need the following information:

  • Your name, address, Social Security number, and phone number.
  • Your employer’s name, address, and phone number.
  • The dates you worked for the employer.
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2016. You can use your final pay stub for this information.

Don’t wait to file your tax return

Even if you don’t have your W-2, you are still required to file your tax return by April 18, 2017.

Correct your tax return, if necessary

If you receive your missing W-2 after you file and the information you used was incorrect, you may need to file an amended tax return using Form 1040X. This return cannot be e-filed; it must be mailed to the IRS.

For more information, go to

Judith Ackland has more than 26 years of experience in accountancy and financial planning, including seventeen years as a CFO of a diverse business. She started Crystal Financial in 2010 to help a wide array of individuals, families, and business owners better understand their finances and how good financial management could help them achieve their goals. Judith has an MA in Professional Accountancy from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln as well as a Certified Public Accountant Certificate and a Certified Financial Planner designation.

Powered by Pixel Fire Marketing Pixel Fire Marketing